Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Palm-Fringed Paradise

I strolled around the island of Ko Samui, leisurely mind you, for two days trying to figure out it’s appeal. It’s a more than attractive island, don’t get me wrong, and it has all the amenities you want in an island paradise. Sandy beaches, blue waters, and a rugged, mountainous interior cloaked in palm trees - all of which are drenched in sunshine and cooled by a light offshore breeze. There is an array of accommodation to suit any traveler with luxury resorts, cheap backpacker huts and moderately priced beachfront villas. It features a main street lined with stores, restaurants and bars to accommodate a wide range of tastes. But, it didn’t strike me as anything distinctly different or more captivating from islands found closer to home such as those in Hawaii or the Caribbean.
From Ko Samui '07





Then it finally dawned on me after a couple nights stretched out in my king size room with the large walk-in shower and beach facing patio for $40 a night and filling my tummy on a mere $10 a day. Ko Samui provides everything you want in an island paradise at dirt cheap prices. I knew it was inexpensive going in, but it really hit home once I was there for a few nights. Not just because I was saving money, but what I was getting for what little money I was spending.

Working out all the stress built up over the last thirty-five years via an hour-long, beachfront, full-body Thai massage was a splurge that set me back a whopping eight dollars. Sitting on the beach having dinner under the stars, I thought nothing of spending an extra buck for another Jack & Coke to extend my star-gazing a little longer. Tired of the style of sunglasses I've been wearing for the last four months, I engaged in a few rounds of haggling and walked away with a new pair of Ray-Bans (at least they looked like it) for all of $10. Even better, sleeping in until 9 a.m. and spending six to eight hours a day basking in the sun cost me nothing. It's no wonder people flock to Ko Samui, or similar Thai islands like Phuket or Kp Phi Phi with great regularity. Plus, it has a little more exotic cache than Hawaii or the Bahamas.

But, the bargain basement prices and sublime setting doesn’t come without a few downsides. While not overly crowded, the beaches are certainly well attended. Hawkers pushing fruit, ice cream, temporary tattoos, and sea-shell necklaces (and, if you listen to closely, more illicit options whispered under their breath), trod up and down the beach frequently interrupting my efforts to turn my typically pasty skin a few shades darker. But, my carefully honed furrowed brow accompanied by a shake of my head and a periodic dismissing wave of my hand seemed to keep them mostly at bay.

The main street is overdeveloped in a rather underdeveloped sort of way. While there is already a Starbucks and McDonald’s, the rest of the retail offerings are comprised of a series of densely packed basic stores fronts which lose their charm after just a few days time. Although, on the other end of the spectrum, there is evidence of burgeoning gentrification as new luxury resorts take the place of backpacker beach huts and develop accompanying shopping centers alongside their resort property. Hopefully Ko Samui’s future lies somewhere in the middle, retaining it’s laid-back, something for everyone atmosphere while upgrading facilities just a bit. Otherwise, Ko Samui, in ten to fifteen years time, could join the ranks of other high priced island hot spots.





But, regardless of those minor detractions, Ko Samui provides an ideal palm-fringed paradise that for eight days beckoned me to do nothing more than just relax and enjoy myself. And, my wallet got a bit of a vacation as well.



KO SAMUI PHOTO ALBUM: http://picasaweb.google.com/gscottie/KoSamui07

No comments: