Sunday, April 29, 2007

Traveling Light

In six months of traveling around the globe I've miraculously managed to hop from country to country - taking some thirty odd flights, a half dozen trains and who knows how many cabs, tuk-tuks and motorbikes - without major incident. All despite hauling what currently passes for all my worldly possessions packed into one bag.

Not to mention throwing an assortment of items into various pockets as I wander through streets, airports, museums and other locales of each city. In all that time, nothing has been lost or stolen, although I've managed to damage a few items with my own klutziness.

My parents have been in Italy for all of two days, taking their first trip outside the U.S. in decades, in fact it's only the second ever for my Mother. In the last 48 hours, despite taking all the appropriate precautions, they've had their luggage lost by their airline (thankfully located and returned within 24 hours) and their digital camera stolen while on a bus traveling back to our hotel in Rome. Of course, only after sightseeing and taking a number of pictures of some of Rome's best sights.

I believe that's what they call irony....in any language.

No comments: